The Serial Enabled 16x2 LCD - White on Black 5V is the latest iteration of Sparkfun's serial LCD. This product features a 16x2 LCD and an embedded circuit based on a PIC 16F88, all on a single board. With the on-board PIC, this device takes a TTL serial input and displays the received characters on the LCD. The installed firmware allows for a range of special commands, including clearing the screen, adjusting the backlight brightness, and turning the display on or off.
The SerLCD requires 5V TTL serial for communication, with a default baud rate of 9600bps (8-N-1). However, you can adjust the baud to any standard rate between 2400 and 38400bps. The power (VDD), ground (GND), and RX pins are all accessible via a 2.54mm pitch header and a 3-pin JST connector.
The SerLCD has the unique ability to dim its backlight to conserve power, making it an energy-efficient choice. For further customization, a potentiometer on the back of the display allows you to adjust the contrast to suit your needs.
- Onboard UART in embedded PIC 16F88 for accurate communication
- Adjustable baud rates: 2400, 4800, 9600 (default), 14400, 19200, 38400
- Functional Backspace
- High processing speed at 10MHz
- Buffer can store up to 80 incoming characters
- Backlight transistor can handle up to 1A
- Pulse width modulation of backlight for direct control of brightness and power consumption
- Compact surface mount design
- Quick boot-up time
- Option to turn boot-up display on/off via firmware
- User-definable splash screen
- PCB dimensions: 103x36mm
- LCD dimensions: 71.4x26.4mm
- Serial LCD Application Note
- Dimensional Drawing
- Detailed Drawing and Pinout
- Quickstart Guide